Members in attendance: Jieun Han, David Zehr, Erin Bergen, Tiantian Chen, Ben Shelly, Jill Steinmetz, Hannah Yoder, Alma Rosa Carrillo Flores, Crystopher Echavarria, Launa Rohrer
Others present: Peter Meyer Reimer
- Information Session about Student Senate Cabinet Elections – Tuesday, April 7, at 7 p.m., Senate members will be giving an informational session in Java about Senate’s role at Goshen College. There will be time for questions and conversation. Elections for positions on Student Senate Cabinet (including President, Vice President, Secretary, Vice President of Marketing and Treasurer) will be taking place Friday, April 17 through Monday, April 20. The deadline to submit applications for cabinet positions is Wednesday, April 15 at 5 p.m.
- Funding Request – “Women of Ciudad Juarez” is a play being hosted by GC Players on April 22 of this year. GC Players requested $1000 from Student Senate to help accommodate the performers during their stay here in Goshen; Senate agreed to allocate the full amount requested.
- Funding Request – This Saturday (April 4) eight GC students will be traveling to Chicago to participate in Caravana 43, which will include demonstrations and educational events in response to the kidnapping of 43 students in Iguala, Mexico on September 26, 2014. The parents of the 43 missing students will be present. To help make the GC students’ trip possible, the funding request for $352 was granted.
- Goshen College’s Alcohol Policy – Peter Meyer Reimer has drafted a proposal to the President’s Council, calling for reevaluation of the current GC policy on alcohol, in light of recent scholarship that analyzes and critiques dry and wet campus policies.
- Student and Board of Directors – The next meeting with students and the Board of Directors will take place in the Spring of 2016, not in the Fall of 2015 as previously planned.
- Open Floor – Peter Meyer Reimer has drafted a proposal to the President’s Council, requesting that the GC President or President’s Council make a statement addressing the RFRA, which gives GC the license to discriminate.
Find more complete minutes from our meeting at www. goshen.edu/senate/home/minutes/
Next Student Senate meeting time: April 7 at 8:30 p.m. in AD 21
All of our meetings are open to students and community members. We welcome you to join us!