Purls of wisdom

Purls of wisdom

By Matt Lehman, a Bible and religion major with a theatre minor from Kidron, Ohio.

I knit. Some guys work on cars, play sports or play video games. But I knit.

I started knitting because I was bored. A yarn store down the road from my high school offered a free skein of yarn and needles to anyone who signed up for classes, so I thought I would try it out. The next thing I knew, I was spending two hours every Monday night learning how to knit and making post-menopausal friends. The weirdest part, though, was that I enjoyed knitting. I loved taking a ball of yarn and turning it into a scarf.

My friends thought I was crazy. I was bold enough to knit in public and my friends were less than supportive. Most thought it was abnormal, and a few wondered how soon I’d be coming out of the closet. But I just liked knitting.

Besides providing me with a way to stay warm in the winter, knitting began to teach me a few things. The most important thing, though, was that sometimes what you want to do is different than what people expect you to do. And that’s okay. Eventually, I decided that I didn’t care what people thought.

When I got to college, guys that knitted were suddenly cool. I joined the Hesston College knitting club, and now the Goshen knitting club meets in Howell House every Wednesday at 10 p.m. (shameless plug).

I don’t know the difference between a carburetor and an engine filter. I didn’t wait in line for Call of Duty: Black Ops. I couldn’t tell you what a fullback, cornerback, or halfback do to save my life. Instead, I’ve learned the difference between knitting and purling. I go to Ewe-nique Knits on sale days. And I’ve learned how to do cable stitch, rib stitch, and stockinette stitch. Most importantly, though, I’ve learned to be my own person.

Avatar
Avatar
Written by admin

the administrator of this site.

No one have left a comment for this post yet!

<