For the Record

According to J. Glenn Reynolds, author of Instapundit.com, the key to a successful blog is to “post regularly, find topics that interest you and track them steadily.”brbrThat’s exactly what I intend to do. But only a bit of help from all of you. Yes, you.brbrTime magazine’s 2006 Person of the Year was You. 2006 was the year when user-generated content was imbedded into our online personsas as a lasting reality rather than a passing phenomenon. Web sites such as Wikipedia, YouTube, Facebook, MySpace, Digg and Second Life creeped into our Firefox bookmark toolbars. They’ve since been re-imagined as iPhone apps and Google widgets.brbrUser-generated content has even infiltrated the world of journalism. You, we, us, common citizens. Journalists – who pride themselves on professional attributes such as accuracy, objectivity and credibility – are now being challenged. We now have the ability to announce breaking news and commentary on anything and everything, even before the 24-hour news stations. Consider this: last year a blogger reported on the earthquake in China an hour before CNN broke the news.brbrWhen I consider how I want to make the Record unique this semester, you came to mind. I want you to help generate content.brbrBut how? In order to continue to manage this publication, editors must retain their influence on what stories get published. That’s only fair, don’t you think?brbrMy conclusion: create a collaborative Record blog. You’ll find this at a href=”http://record.goshen.edu”record.goshen.edu/a under the “Maple Log” category.brbrMy vision for this bit of online real estate (thankfully Web site mortgage rates aren’t too volatile), is to have you help me create the content. I hope this space can allow us to more fully realize who we are. Let’s share links, videos, podcasts, etc. Send me your ideas. I’d like the Maple Log to be a place where one can learn about what’s going on locally, nationally and globally. It is a space to learn what you – the students, faculty and staff of Goshen College – are thinking about.brbrI hope that come Thursday afternoon, my e-mail inbox is flooded with emails. Because remember, Reynolds said that the best bloggers “post regularly, find topics that interest you and track them steadily.”brbrThe Maple Log is not mine. It’s ours. I maintain it, but you contribute to it.brbrTo adopt from Time magazine, I present to you, the Record Person of the Year:brbrUs.brbrCheck us out at a href=”http://record.goshen.edu/category/maple-log”record.goshen.edu/category/maple-log/a.brbrSheldon Good is the editor-in-chief of the Record this spring and a communication and business double major from Telford, Pa.

Sheldon Good
Written by Sheldon Good

the big cheese.

No one have left a comment for this post yet!