Ame Blankenship, a senior softball player, has pitched and played first base for four years. During the team’s most recent match-up, Blankenship pitched a complete game, striking out a career high ten batters and allowing just three hits in a 3-2 victory over Bethel. It was the Leafs’ first victory over Bethel since 2004. Blankenship came to Goshen from Jonathan Alder High School in Plain City, Ohio. Here, she provides an in-depth look at her experience here at Goshen College, the softball team this year and what she foresees in her future.

How did you hear about Goshen College and what brought you here?

My cousin went to Goshen, so I decided to visit. I wanted to play softball and I liked the small school feel that I got from visiting here.

What is your major?

Bible, Religion and Philosophy.

What do you hope to do as a career?

I hope my education here in those departments prepares me to become a Hospital Chaplain someday.

You have enjoyed success in all areas of the game, particularly in your great pitching performance in the win over Bethel recently. Is that your favorite part of the game?

I would actually say that I like hitting the best, but I obviously like every aspect of the sport when it goes well like it did that day against Bethel.

What do you think it will take to get some wins to close out the season?

We simply need to play together as a team. It is more fun for everyone and we play better when play together.

What are the team’s goals the remainder of this season?

We hope to win the rest of our conference games (over Grace College and the University of St. Francis) and make it into the tournament.

What is your favorite thing about the team this year?

I love playing with the other seniors on the team. Ashley Hackman, Jana Beitler, Kelsey Morris, Maria Koshmider and I have been through quite a bit together over the years.

What are your plans for this coming year, after graduation?

I plan on continuing my schooling while attending Ashland Theological Seminary in the fall.

What do you think you will miss most about Goshen College?

I will definitely miss all my friends. They are a great group of girls.