The Goshen Women’s tennis team returned home from a four-game road streak this past Saturday, hoping to achieve their first MCC win of the season against Grace College. The day ended in another disappointment, as Grace swept past Goshen, winning all nine matches. The Grace Lancers improved their record to 4-4 overall, while the Leaf’s remain at 1-7, 0-6 in the MCC.
The strongest performance of the day came from seniors Rachel Lanctot and Alli Hawkins, playing at the top of the doubles category. The pair fought admirably, but ended up losing 8-5.
Lanctot also achieved the best individual performance of the day, playing to a 6-3 loss in the first set and a 6-1 loss in the second. Lanctot’s opponent, Jessica Stolle, was a three-time All Mid-Central College Conference pick.
“Our team is struggling, but we do play in a very strong conference with a lot of good players,” said Hawkins. “It has been fun to see the awesome talent in our conference as well as in our team members who are fighting points and games out with these great players.”
Goshen will complete its four match home stretch with their two remaining conference matchups. They play Bethel College on Tuesday and Marion University on Sept. 28.
Grace 9, Goshen 0
1. Jessica Stolle (Gr) def. Rachel Lanctot (Go) 6-3, 6-1
2. Jenessa Jergenson (Gr) def. Alyssa Dewing (Go) 6-1, 6-0
3. Alisha Anthony (Gr) def. Alli Hawkins (Go) 6-3, 6-0
4. Andrea Redhair (Gr) def. Laura Krabill (Go) 6-1, 6-1
5. Meghan Redhair (Gr) def. Chelsea Wampler (Go) 6-1, 6-2
6. Kelli Hamstra (Gr) def. Lauren Stoltzfus (Go) 6-1, 6-1
1. Jergenson/ A. Redhair (Gr) def. Lanctot/ Hawkins (Go) 8-5
2. Stolle/ Anthony (Gr) def. Dewing/ Krabill (Go) 8-2
3. Nicole Beguine/ M. Redhair (Gr) def. Wampler/ Nikita Zook (Go) 8-1
Beguine (Gr) def. Yordnos Zewdie (Go) 8-3
Beguine (Gr) def. Erin Steiner (Go) 6-3