I am not a Mennonite

I am not a Mennonite

Hannah Barg

Contributing Writer

hrbarg@goshen.edu

Hannah Barg, a senior, discusses her experience of coming to Goshen from an evangelical background. Photo by Halle Steingass.

Hannah Barg, a senior, discusses her experience of coming to Goshen from an evangelical background.
Photo by Halle Steingass.

As a woman who has many Mennonite friends on campus, I am often assumed to be Mennonite.

I cannot tell you the number of times I have been questioned about my home church, relatives who have attended Goshen or other connections to the Mennonite community.

The truth is, I knew one Mennonite family before coming to Goshen, and found out about the school by searching online. As a prospective student, I encountered 4-part harmony hymn sings and the name Menno Simons for the first time.

Something I am often hesitant to share with people here at Goshen is that I grew up in the Evangelical Covenant church.

I quickly learned during my first year at Goshen that the phrases “accepted Christ into my heart” and “sharing my testimony,” which I often used while talking with my friends at home, were not effective ways to convey my faith experiences to my Mennonite friends.

I eventually stopped using the word “evangelical” to describe my denominational ties because I found myself quickly dismissed or easily judged when I did.

I specifically remember the eyebrow-raises in my Religion and America class when I shared that I grew up in the Evangelical church.

There was frustration present in my Roots of Environmental Crisis class when a representative from the Young Evangelicals for Climate Action came to speak about sin and climate change (someone who I was excited to hear again because they had visited my home church.)

The more I wrestled with my evangelical identity, the more discouraged I became. This was a time of deep questioning, anger, and confusion for me.

Prior to coming to Goshen, I was unaware of how other denominations viewed evangelicals.

My home church fit some general evangelical perceptions, but defied others.

As I was exposed to concepts like a genderless God, I started to challenge my beliefs in new ways. I began to truly understand the aspects of my home congregation that I valued as well as those I disagreed with.

I also learned how to explain my faith experience in terms that made better sense to my peers, and became less afraid to claim my religious upbringing.

While I consider myself much less religious now, I have come to appreciate my upbringing in a way that seemed impossible in the midst of feeling judged and lost my first two years of college.

For a long time, Goshen was not a safe place for me to talk about my faith, and this was a tough barrier to overcome.

My hope is that this will change for future students.

As a part of a diverse community, may we as Goshen College students create space to be patient and listen to the unique stories of faith that characterize our student body.

Record
Record
Written by Record

No one have left a comment for this post yet!