Maddie Birky

News Editor

madelinemb@goshen.edu

[caption id="attachment_31123" align="alignright" width="350"]Maddie Birky, a sophomore, stands with fellow camp counselors from Camp Friedenswald over the summer Maddie Birky, a sophomore, stands with fellow camp counselors from Camp Friedenswald over the summer[/caption]

Looking for something rewarding and fun to do this summer? Then Camp Day is the day for you. On Friday, February 6, Goshen College will be hosting representatives from Mennonite camps around the U.S. and Canada to provide students with information on how to apply for a job. The representatives will have information tables set up from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the first floor connector by Java.

In the past, many GC students have spent their summers dedicating their time and energy to helping children grow in their faith through fun in the great outdoors. Jill Steinmetz, a first-year, decided to spend the summer before her first year of college working on staff at Camp Friedenswald in Cassopolis, MI.

“Camp was a great experience that taught me a lot about myself, my faith and my place in this world,” said Steinmetz. “It helped me prepare for college by helping my ability to make friends, build compassion and work with others.”

Lena Charles, a first-year, worked at Amigo Centre for the first time this past summer. She said she felt more prepared for the school year because camp “had the college feel of being away from home.”

When asked about her favorite part of her camp experience, Charles said, “There were a lot of moments where the kids would open up to me and I could help them in some way, and that felt really good.”

Maggie Weaver, a sophomore who spent her summer working at Camp Squeah in Canada, really enjoyed Camp Day last year.

“I think that a lot of people found camps they enjoyed and didn’t know about because you have a wide variety of camps,” said Weaver. “It can really hard to know what things are going to be like, so talking with [the representatives] is really helpful.” According to Weaver, working at camp can be about more than just the kids.

“[Camp] is another chance to explore and identify yourself in a different context,” said Weaver. “I grew a lot in different ways by being in an intentional community space like camp.”

Working at a summer camp does not necessarily mean you’ll be a counselor the entire time. Sawyer Biddle, a first-year, was on the maintenance crew at Menno Haven Camp and Retreat Center this past summer.

“Even though I wasn’t a counselor, I still got lots of time to interact with kids and of course other staff,” said Biddle. “Going to camp this summer helped me make the transition to living away from home and living in a communal setting. I also met several super cool Goshen students that I’m still good friends with.”

Besides the camps already mentioned, Camp Camrec, Camp Luz, Camp Mack, Camp Mennoscah, Crooked Creek Christian Camp, Rocky Mountain Mennonite Camp and Wilderness Wild will be represented.