Nebraska: “It’s not for everyone”

Nebraska: “It’s not for everyone”

Anyone who has talked to me for longer than five minutes knows that I’m from Nebraska. And if you’ve been paying any attention to the news recently, you’ll know that it was an exciting time for those of us who call the Cornhusker State home.

No, my home state isn’t offering pop culture shockers for tabloid covers (RIP Pete and Ariana </3) or earth-shaking political news (are y’all voting?? Also ROYAL BABY), but for a state that’s mostly corn stalks and feedlots, getting press is a reason for celebration.

The bad news, though, is that the past week’s coverage wasn’t all that great.

First off, we heard that a high school cook got fired because he put kangaroo meat in the chili soup. I think the kids are lucky, at least it was meat that he added. He could have added some kind of vegetable or hot sauce but we all know that Nebrakans aren’t about to consume anything green or spicy.

Believe it or not, this got overshadowed.

The Nebraska Tourism Commission released a new slogan: “Honestly, it’s not for everyone.” This, and the corresponding campaign, caught the eye of CNN, The Today Show, Stephen Colbert and every single one of my Facebook friends. Probably to no one’s surprise, an overwhelming number of these responses were negative.

“Nebraska, are you OK?” Colbert asked in his opening monologue. “Seriously, it seems like you could use a vacation to Not Nebraska.”

My older sister responded in a Facebook post, “Honestly, I’m not impressed,” which, for a person who works in Nebraska’s tourism industry, is probably warranted.

Some shared that they thought this new slogan showed progress; collectively, we are still trying to hide the shame from the time the slogan got changed from “The Good Life” to “Nebraska. Nice.” Believe it or not, but we got made fun of for that one too.

In my opinion, I think the new slogan is great; I don’t think anyone can deny that it’s true.

If you’re looking for hot, sunny white-sand beaches on the ocean or snow-capped mountains, I’m afraid Nebraska might not be your best option. And I really hope that isn’t new information for you.

But hey, if you like beautiful prairies, top-notch zoos like the Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha, water towers that look like hot air balloons, six-man high school football teams, driving dangerously fast through gravel road intersections without any stop signs or a unicameral state legislature, I have an excellent suggestion for your next vacation.

I get why some people aren’t so pleased; I know, countless times, I’ve been asked, “why do you love Nebraska so much?”

The way I see it, somebody has to do it. And I know we don’t make it easy.

If there’s anything Nebraskans are good at, it’s making fun of ourselves. Oh, and needing seven tries to win a football game.

Kristin Troyer, Layout Editor
Kristin Troyer, Layout Editor
Written by Kristin Troyer, Layout Editor

Kristin Troyer works as the layout editor at The Record. She is a senior public relations major, with minors in Bible & religion and graphic design. Bylines include Hesston College Horizon, Mennonite Disaster Service’s Behind the Hammer, Hesston College Today, Goshen College Bulletin, and more. Formerly, Kristin worked as executive editor, layout editor and staff writer at The Record. Follow Kristin on Twitter @kristin_tr and email her at ktroyer@goshen.edu.

1 Comment responses

1. Avatar
    January 14, 2019

I dont mind the slogan at all. It’s very realistic of my experiences here so its fitting.
    1. Nebraskans arent the welcoming lot every Nebraskan makes themselves out to be. They actually come across as quite rude to people who arent from here.
    I was so excited to begin a new life here…now leaving is all I think of. The land is stunning. I like the quiet life after growing up between NYC and Boston..but wow, Nebraskans are almost as rude as those so called southern belles that hurl insults and think you are too lacking in intelligence to catch on.
    I smile. I hold doors. I behave like a lady. Clearly a foreign concept here is being a gentleman. I actually had a so called gentleman drop a door into my face today. Clearly the extra 3 seconds to hold the door so the lady limping behind him could get inside out of the cold would have e ruined his trip to the mall.
    And let’s not even start on the driving. Give me NYC or LA at 5pm any day over the 90+mph pickups flying down I80 like time bombs