BRANDON VIRES

Junior

bivires@goshen.edu

As a conservative, I have felt uneasy about my political orientation ever since my arrival at Goshen College. Despite having these feelings, it has never been an issue before this year’s election (except for the occasional movement or protest on campus). This year’s election seemed to awaken something in people that I had not previously thought present: divisiveness. I understand that people have their own reasons to be upset by this election, and they should, but I feel as if there is some underlying animosity towards those who do not share the “popular opinion” of our campus community.

Understand that while I am glad to see Trump win the presidency, it is not for the reasons people are protesting. The liberal stance of the Goshen community is centered around equality for all, as it should be. However, while we are focused on the advancements of progressive movements such as religion, sexual orientation, and culture, we fail to recognize the real threat: the destabilization of our nation’s economic infrastructure.

Many liberals across the nation protested Trump’s views on illegal immigration throughout both the primaries and the presidential election, stating that he had no right to seek the deportation of people who have lived here for years and have jobs. But these same people do not see that it is not a simple “racist” ideology, but an economic one. For years the Democratic party has over-taxed the middle class to the point of extinction, and unfortunately, these illegal workers who are earning non-taxable paychecks are directly harming hard-working middle-class workers who are trying to feed their families as well.

Under this guise of “racism,” many across the nation curse Trump for his stance on illegal immigration, without knowing immigration’s true consequences. I fear that Goshen has become ensnared in the same logical pitfalls that I hear from across the nation. A student body that preaches for its constituents to have an open-mind is the same student body that is unwilling to see past its own slandering of a man who won the political office in a fair, democratic vote.

The hypocrisy from both the sides is appalling, but the hypocritical statements that I hear from the liberal side are almost unbearable. The same people who are protesting Trump’s election also cried out and labeled conservatives “racist” or “white supremacists” when we voted against Obama in the 2008 and 2012 elections. I understand that everyone has their own opinion, and that everyone should respect each other’s opinions, but this is not what is happening on our campus right now, let alone our entire country.

I feel as if my voice is being trivialized, drowned in the seas of outcry and hate against Donald Trump and the Republican Party, and this is not how it should be. We should stand fast and strong, supporting one another and striving to make this country great again for all who call America their home!