CHANDLER INGLE

Sophomore

cmingle@goshen.edu

I am a 19-year-old heterosexual white middle class male. Yes, I am privileged.

But I am not a racist, I respect women, and I do not hate the LGBTQ+ community. I and other conservatives that actually do exist on this campus have been unjustly called “uneducated” and “hateful” while we stay silent and shamed on a campus that promotes love and acceptance of all beliefs.

What I am is a conservative Republican that used my divine American right to cast a vote for our next President, Donald Trump. I am for free market and small businesses. I am happy for the working class citizens that can finally earn their living and piece of the American Dream. I am happy that we are going to put a foot down on terrorism. And I support US troops and veterans that have or still are laying their lives on the line every day for both you and me.

But I do not support a culture of sensitivity created in “safe spaces” that have only created a divide on this campus and around the nation.

Do I know what it’s like to be African American in this country or a member of the LGBTQ+ community? No. But I am willing to listen and understand these differences because the first step in growing is acknowledgment.

In my heart I truly believe President Trump will do his duty to protect all Americans. This is what Mr. Trump had to say in his acceptance speech on the night of the election, “To all Republicans, Democrats, and Independents across this nation, I say it is time for us to come together as one united people. I pledge to every citizen of our land that I will be President for all Americans, and this is so important to me. For those of you that chose not to support me, I am reaching out for to you for your guidance and help so that we can work together and unify this great country.”

And I am not sad about the results and I deserve the right to voice my support. Do you have to agree with me? No. And that is your absolute right as an American citizen. But whether you are a Republican, Democrat, or Independent, we are all living under the same roof. If you feel that Trump is unfit to be the leader of our great nation, then be my guest and do whatever you need to do to voice your opinion. But let’s all do it in a manner that promotes love, respect, and maturity.

But don’t just take my word for it. Please take the time to have a conversation with the silent conservative minority on campus. Our voices matter. We refuse to stay silent. And I and others offer our hand in helping unite not only the GC campus, but also this great nation that we all call home.