“My grandma is a quilter, so I have always loved fabric and sewing. Later on I would see things at the store and think to myself, ‘I could make that’ and so I just started trying to make things for myself’. [I’m inspired by] anything and everything. I love street fashion and seeing what other people are wearing and how they combine different pieces that seem unusual but as a whole fit together perfectly.” – Jess Sprunger

Q & A with the artist:

What interested you in fashion design?

Well my grandma is a quilter so I have always loved fabric and sewing.  Later on I would see things at the store and think to myself “I could make that” and so I just started trying to make things for myself.

How long have you been working with design?

I was, to put it kindly,a “creative dresser” in middle school.  I wore some crazy outfits one of which included black and white checkered leggings.  In high school I refined my style and began to think of outfits that included pieces that didn’t exist in the stores.  Since I couldn’t find them in the store I would start looking for things at thrift stores that could be altered or attempt to make things myself.  My first big project was making my prom dress.  I had a design in mind but my mom insisted that I use a pattern (which in hindsight was a wise choice).  It turned out pretty well and the next year I made my prom dress again working partially from a pattern and drawing from my own designs.

What/who is your main inspiration?

Any and Everything.  I love street fashion and seeing what other people are wearing and how they combine different pieces that seem unusual but as a whole fit together perfectly.  I also love fabric.  There are often times when I see a fabric I love and end up buying just knowing that I will find a project to use it in.

Do you have aspirations in fashion design?

I would love to learn how to draft my own patterns and have the skills to work without a pattern.  I don’t really want to do fashion design as a job but I love having the ability to make things for myself that are one of a kind.  I would however love to have some kind of job working with fabric in some way.

Are you working on any current projects?

At the moment I am painting shirts with peoples faces on them.  I always thought it would be fun to have a shirt with your own face on it so I made a bunch as christmas gifts.

Are you able to work and design during the school year?

Not as much as I would like but that is partially because I don’t always take the time to do it.  I usually get excited about projects that I see on the internet or if I have just found a fabric that I really want to use.

What sorts of pieces have you completed in the past?

well I made my prom dresses for Jr. and Sr year. I have also made a skirt, a shirt for my friends birthday, a couple other dresses and a pair of green velvet leggings which sadly turned out a bit small.  I have also altered clothing that doesn’t quite fit. For the trash fashion show at the Columbus Convention I made a skirt out of folded magazines.