Artist’s Corner – April 16

Artist’s Corner – April 16

The featured artist this week is Daniela Hernandez, a senior. Her self-portrait drawing is representative of more than just herself.

“It represents the oppressed women of Mexico, and more specifically the indigenous women,” said Hernandez.

The quotation that surrounds the portrait is from Subcomandante Marcos, a Chiapas guerrilla leader whose rebel fighters stand up against government discrimination and injustice towards indigenous people.

“I use a dove to represent hope and ideas of peace,” Hernandez said.

The quotation translates as:

“Why is it necessary to kill and to die so that Ramona can come and you all can pay attention to what she says? Why is it necessary that Laura, Ana, Maria, Irma, Elisa, Silvia and so, so many indigenous women have to grab a weapon, become soldiers, in place of doctors, graduates, engineers, teachers?”

Written by Ben Noll

Senior Theater and Sociology double-major from Lancaster, Pennsylvania. I am currently in my second semester working as Arts page editor for The Record. I enjoy reading, going to the movies, eating, watching Philadelphia and Penn State sports, and thinking about graduation. Please feel free to contact me with any questions, criticisms, or story ideas. All good art, including journalism, is about collaboration!

No one have left a comment for this post yet!