Braving controversy

Braving controversy

Photo by Chase Snyder.

Photo by Chase Snyder.

It is getting close to the time when they will delete my username, and start forwarding my letters back to my mom and dad. One of the things I never got around to doing, was to write something for the Record (except for that “lactated-ringers” nursing joke [no one got it {it wasn’t your fault}]). So, I figured I’d give this perspective thing a go.

It has been couple of weeks since I read Anna Pasquarello’s communicator announcement about the “Red Envelope Event.” I am fairly pro-choice and definitely didn’t slap a stamp on any “bloody” envelopes that Monday. But it was great to see that someone with a strong opinion was throwing it out there.

It’s easy to fear controversy. The “Vagina Monologues” were most definitely controversial. However, as students, are we too immature to put the shock-value aside, and contemplate why we disagree? Our college community should be able to trust students to choose what is “too much” for them, and what is not.

I feel it is the job of our students and the administration to mold and maintain Goshen College as a common ground for all opinions. As an institution, we want to attract students from every faith, gender, sexuality and viewpoint on the political spectrum – and invite them to share those perspectives. With diversity comes challenge, and with a respectful attitude of tolerance/acceptance, self reflection and growth will follow.

So thank you, Anna Pasquarello, for putting your side of the situation on display. I did not attend, but you had your say. And I have had mine.

And now we know that both opinions are valid. We’ve gotten the chance to hear the other side, consider it and come to a personal decision – not because it was the only opinion our students were allowed to consider, but because we chose to look.

Jonathon Casselberry-Scott is a senior psychology and nursing double major from Marcellus, Mich.

Avatar
Avatar
Written by admin

the administrator of this site.

No one have left a comment for this post yet!

<