Have you ever thought about the absurdity of swear words?

What is it that makes the F-bomb any worse than any other word of the English language that starts with an “F?” Where did these perverse words even come from? Were they found on the moon, or did someone simply decide that some combination of phonetic sounds were more offensive than others?

Imagine for a minute, if you will, what would happen if everyone were to embrace swearing. I do not mean that we should all go out and start swearing our heads off, but what if we were to accept it?

A wonderful example of this concept happened with the word “crap.” I remember being scolded for uttering this word. Now it is much more common everywhere.

I am a person who does not swear very often, and 99 percent of the time when I do, I am being very sarcastic.At the same time, however, it does not offend me when I hear my friends bust out a few profanities.

The concept of the swear word is in fact a paradox in itself. The only reason vulgar language is offensive is from people who make it so. By protesting the use of swear words, they are in fact given power.

Another odd principle of swearing is that even when the word is masked – for instance, saying “Darn!” or “Oh, fudge!” – the intent is still the same. Simply changing the word in no way makes your intent any different. Yet shouting “OMG!” after a brutal toe stubbing is hardly even given a second thought.

Using the F-bomb, however, as a simple flavoring particle is strictly forbidden in public circumstances.

In my humble opinion, the best and most effective way of “removing” swear words form the English language would be to accept them and not give them power by having such a strong position against them. Perhaps others would crop up if the current ones were integrated as acceptable speech, but if one can be brought into accepted conversation, why can’t others?

Aaron Kaufmann is a first-year collegiate studies major from Tiskilwa, Ill.