Artist's Corner – March 19

The featured artist this week is Emily Shantz, a senior from Goshen. Her drawing, “Ollie Squibnose,” was created with a  pen on paper and will be featured alongside her other drawings in the second Senior Art Exhibition of the year, opening this weekend in the Hershberger Art Gallery in Rieth Recital Hall.

Shantz drew the monsters from the fictional point of view of an observer named Charles H. Monroe.

“There’s a whole story behind my show,” said Shantz, an art major with a writing minor.

Shantz was assigned an abstract character piece for her figure drawing class. “I ended up with a monster that I loved so much I named him and gave him a back-story,” Shantz said.

Her work will be displayed alongside art from four other seniors, including Daniel Merkt-Blatz, Janell Koch-Cripe, Carmen Myers and Alex Troyer.

A reception will be held at the Music Center on Sunday from 2-4 p.m. to celebrate the opening.

Written by Ben Noll

Senior Theater and Sociology double-major from Lancaster, Pennsylvania. I am currently in my second semester working as Arts page editor for The Record. I enjoy reading, going to the movies, eating, watching Philadelphia and Penn State sports, and thinking about graduation. Please feel free to contact me with any questions, criticisms, or story ideas. All good art, including journalism, is about collaboration!

No one have left a comment for this post yet!