For The Record

In light of this week’s special sports insert, I want to focus on a topic that has come up fairly often this fall: attendance at women’s soccer games versus men’s.

I’ll be the first to admit that I do not play or understand sports very well, so I am no expert on the situation, but I live with three soccer players, who do, in fact, tell me how much they appreciate a full set of bleachers. I think this discussion is an important one to continue, not just for the women’s team, but for our campus community as a whole.

First of all, attendance at women’s home games did seem to pick up this year, and this fall the women’s team gained a vigorous cheering section for the first time thanks to some supportive students. The crowd did not equal that of men’s games, but there were more supporters than I had seen in past years.

But it’s hard to pinpoint the reasons why this game inequality has always been an issue. Perhaps it has something to do with simple tradition: students have always made men’s games a massive event and it makes sense that people flock to what they know will be a crowd full of vuvuzelas and friends.

But doesn’t the women’s team deserve just as much of a ruckus?

Since my freshman year, when I somehow made many of my close friends within the soccer circle, I’ve noticed how often the benches are sparse when the women play on their own turf.

At a recent GWSA meeting, some women discussed possible solutions to balancing the scales, so to speak. One suggestion was to change game times. Most men’s game are held at 7 or 8 p.m., while women’s games are typically at a 5 p.m. slot, especially if there is a men’s game as well. If there was an equal distribution of games that were at 5 p.m. between the two teams, not just exclusively women, it would provide better opportunity for students to attend women’s games as well.

The women’s game ended their season with a 4-1 win against Trine University last Tuesday; crowds will be absent from the bleachers until next soccer season.

But students have started to get the ball rolling about this issue. Let’s talk.

Record
Written by Record

No one have left a comment for this post yet!