After walking through the Connector for the third time this year, I realized how much I miss it. I miss the interesting smells wafting from the kitchens and the happy sounds of college-induced immaturity. But most of all, I miss making out in the fourth floor connector. Now, I realize that this may seem unconventional to most, maybe even sinful to many, but take it from me, the Connector is the best snog spot on campus.

Those of you who are relatively new to campus may have heard of other necking nooks. I’m sure the “ark” in the chapel playground does have its advantages, but given that a) it’s in a children’s playground and b) it’s located outside a church, perhaps this isn’t the best venue for a game of tonsil hockey.

The prayer room is next on the list of most used lip-locking lairs. The fact is, this room is quite an excellent location – I even understand that lighting a candle for ambience is permitted. However, I have never gotten over the fear of Bob Yoder, campus pastor, mentor and friend, walking in while I’m “praying.”

This logically brings me to the fourth floor Connector. From what I have deduced, these rooms were designed specifically for the purpose of swapping saliva with your significant other. From the ergonomically crafted “loveseats,” down to the burn-inducing carpet, the fourth floor Connector is a place of a true romance.

Not only do these adorable hideaways offer easy access to the ever-busy hallway, their expansive windows look out on much of the KMY lawn. I can barely count the number of times I’ve handled awkward situations on the fourth floor by pointing out the window and offer such musings as, “Look over there!” and “What’s that?”

Along with a pleasant view of campus, the windows provide onlookers a chance to peer into one’s personal life. When asked why he prefers the fourth floor kissing-coves over a more private location, Stuart Graber, a junior informatics major, responded, “I don’t think we should limit ‘community building’ to only certain aspects of our lives. Using these designated make-out spots keeps me from becoming too exclusive and allows others to join in the fun.”

Emma Ruth, a junior, sociology major, echoed Graber’s sentiments and added, “It really gives us something to talk about at meal times; I hope people continue building community long into the future.”

I, too, hope people continue to get lip-action in the fourth floor Connector. After all, walking into a PDA-free connector cove would be like finding raisins in what appears to be a chocolate chip cookie; it’s okay, just kind of weird.